Complaint Management Training Workshop
- The Complaints Management Workshop is designed to provide learners with the underpinning concepts to explore the statutory and common laws and professional-ethical responsibilities of nurses in handling complaints at work to develop participant’s knowledge and critical thinking skills.
- The qualification is ideal for new starters and experienced staff requiring a refresher alike and is designed for the health and social care sectors including private and government hospitals, ambulance services, nursing homes, residential care homes, domiciliary care providers, nurseries, doctor’s surgeries etc.
- The qualification has been designed to incorporate the guidance and best practices of law and ethics from NMC, RCN, Department of Health, Health and Social Care Act and other government guidance.
Aims of the workshop:
- To extend and enhance the knowledge and skills of registered nurses and other healthcare professionals in managing complaints and addressing the issues and concerns involving dissatisfied clients and co-workers
- Gain awareness and understanding of nurses legal and ethical responsibilities in managing complaints.
- Understand what to do when they receive a complaint. Understand the principle of professional self-regulation and apply this to their professional practice
- Understand the cases and arguments related to Nursing and Healthcare in the UK, Francis Inquiry Report. Gain awareness on the concept of ethics and accountabilities in complaints policies, laws and provisions that will protect nursing practice.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communication which will be important in providing accurate and factual information in complaints management.
- Legal and Professional Accountabilities
- Sources of Law in UK
- National Guidelines
- Role of NMC Investigating Committee Panel
- RCN principles of Nursing practice
- The NMC ‘’The Code’’
- Data Protection and freedom of information
- Complaints Regulation in England and Wales
- Statistics number of complaints in the UK
- Nature of complaints
- Complaint Flow Chart
- Roles and responsibilities of Staff in Complaints Resolution
- The Role of Financial Ombudsman Service
- Internal management of complaints
- Ways to raise a Complain
- Performance targets for resolution of complaints
- Internal Management of Complaints
- Escalation process
- Principles of Good Complaint Handling
- Complaints to Agency Nurse
- Staff support and writing a statement
- NMC response to Francis Report
- Violence & Aggression
- Reporting mechanisms
- Record Keeping and Documentation
- Common Errors in Record Keeping
- Best Practice and Guidelines in record keeping
- Case Scenarios and group discussion