This programme has been accredited by the RCN Centre for Professional Accreditation until 20th October 2017
Accreditation applies only to the educational content of the programme and does not apply to any product
Venepuncture and Cannulation (Adult and Paediatric) Workshop
- The Venepuncture and Cannulation Workshop is designed to provide learners with the underpinning concepts to be able to instill knowledge on IV Cannulation and Venepuncture in order to develop participant’s knowledge and skills in the assessment and clinical competencies when doing the procedures, understanding the indications, complications, care and management theory.
- The qualification is ideal for new starters and experienced staff requiring a refresher alike and is designed for the health and social care sectors including government and private hospitals, private ambulance services, nursing homes, older adult care homes, domiciliary care providers, nurseries, neonatal and paediatric intensive care and doctor’s surgeries etc.
- The qualification has been designed to incorporate the guidance and best practices of medication safety from the Medication Act and other government guidance.
Aims of the workshop:
- The aim of the course explore concepts of contemporary Venepuncture and Cannulation indications, complications , care and management theory in order to develop your knowledge and skills
- Contribute to and manage a high performance and effective skills in Venepuncture and Cannulation
- Develop your ability to link theories with practice through critical skills assessment and clinical competencies.
- Confidently challenge current health and social care practices, and use appropriate evidence to articulate your views.
- Legislation and National Guidelines
- Professional Code of Conduct
- RCN Principles of Practice
- Roles and Responsibility
- Arenas of Accountability
- Interpersonal Skills
- Review of Anatomy and Physiology – Blood Vessels and Circulatory System
- Nerves of the Arms
- Difference between Arteries and Veins
- Risk Assessment , Patient Assessment and Preparation
- Indications and Complications for Venepuncture and Cannulation
- Selection of appropriate Vein and device
- Dermal Puncture Site
- Blood Stream Infection
- Healthcare Associated Infection (HCAI’s)
- Infection Prevention and Control-Handwashing, PPE and Non Touch Technique
- Potential problems during the procedure Equipment used for Venepuncture and Cannulation
- Vacutainer Blood System
- Improving Venous Access
- Hazards associated with Venepuncture
- Safe Practice in handling and Disposing Sharps
- Labelling Blood bottles and completing the blood request forms
- Cannula sizes and Flow rates
- Post Cannulation Care
- Phlebitis Scoring
- Care Bundles
- Venepuncture and Cannulation Procedure Practical
- Documentation and Record Keeping
- Knowledge and Practical Skills Competency Assessment Completed (4 Hours Participatory)
Target Audience: RGNs , Medical Practitioners and other Healthcare Professionals
Lunch will not be provided only Tea and coffee will be provided in the morning and during breaks.
This programme has been accredited by the RCN Centre for Professional Accreditation until 14 August 2015 Accreditation applies only to the educational content of the programme and does not apply to any product
This programme has been accredited by the RCN Centre for Professional Accreditation until 20 October 2017 Accreditation applies only to the educational content of the programme and does not apply to any product